Brian's Ramblings

My thoughts in text, photo, and video form

Monday, January 24, 2005

You Think You Know, But You Have No Idea

A very rare time that I'll compose an entry on consecutive days. But it'll be an interesting read, I assure you.

I like to think of myself as a nice person, I always try to do good, do the right thing, treat people with respect. I certainly don't try to be mean or do bad to anyone. You'd think I should have good karma, or whatever you believe in....

Last night I received an e-mail regarding my augmentative communication device. It wasn't a bad note, in fact it was a positive one. Someone had received a DynaWrite through the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation (VR). "Great!" one should think.

It's great except for one minor detail....I've been patiently waiting for over a year to receive my device, all the while trying my best to convince VR that they should support this. Finally VR is convinced, but yet there's a bunch of hoops that I was asked to jump through. I DO all that they ask of me....now it has become a waiting game, "pass the buck" if you will. Come to find out, a VR counselor was able to order a device for someone in less than a week's time! How can there be such a huge disparity in this idea of "delivery of services?"

What exactly am I missing here?! Something is definitely askew in this picture. It's like someone has punched me in my gut or played a very sick joke on me.

I'll openly admit to literally feeling sick after processing all of this. I write this entry as I cope with a migraine headache, definitely brought on by self-induced stress. What do I take away from this? I MUST learn to deal with stress better, don't let situations affect me so much.

I am very grateful that DynaVox has been extremely supportive of me. They have and continue to believe that I benefit greatly by using a DynaWrite. Thus, I AM happy that I could help them in serving another individual who will benefit from their product. I look forward to the day that I can proclaim, "I have my OWN DynaWrite!"

Does this mean that I'll start being not nice, more "mean" in my attempts to advocate for myself? Probably not. However, I will question my competence in advocacy until I receive the support I am entitled to. A year plus, in my eyes, is NOT considered "timely" in terms of delivery of service.

6 Comments:

  • At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your DVR counselor is an Ass!!, or lazy, or terribly misinformed, or lost is a bureaucartic shuffle, perhaps too focused on his/her own career, too old maybe to understand the role of assistive technology, too disconnected to students, does not understand "vision",
    or could it be that he/she wants to help but just does not know how?!!! What do you do about is??

    What do you think?

     
  • At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I suggest you send your message to your DVR counselor.
    Can it really hurt, considering that you already posted it on your blogsite.

     
  • At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    By the way it take 3 years for a pineapple plant to bear fruit. And it's not always sweet.

     
  • At 4:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Brian, that really sucks, it's definitely unfair that you've been waiting for so long and somebody else only waits a week. I hope they come through for you. . .

    I am a big believer in karma, but I also doubt it too sometimes. I know you could never become a mean person! Hang in there. . .

    Once again you have put my life back into perspective. . . Taron

     
  • At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what about the name crawler or boggle for the iguana?
    have a great thursday!

     
  • At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Brian!

    How frustrating! I didn't realize that you don't have your own DynaWrite. I always assumed your voice, as it should be, was yours. What's your next step with this situation? Seems like a different VR counselor would be a plus---you deserve someone committed and who provides results! (Especially after your stellar hoop-jumping!)

    I just wanted to write to express my support for your self-advocacy. You're an awesome guy and I hope they come through for you without further delay.

    Aloha, E =)
    P.S. What's the scooop on the Iguana? C'mon Brian, tell us who won the naming contest! =)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home