Brian's Ramblings

My thoughts in text, photo, and video form

Saturday, November 24, 2007

2007 Outright WAC Champs

How sweet it feels to be able to type those very words: 2007 WAC Champs!

I am so very grateful to be a small part of the Warrior Football team/ohana. From day one, we believed that we would become a very special team! The players made it happen.

It has been an unbelievable experience to be around the team each and every day. Being around the coaching staff has been very special as well. Each week, Coach Mack prepares the defense to defend our opponents as best we can. We know that our job is to get the ball back to the offense, the greatest offense in the nation, led be Coach Jones and company. Colt Brennan IS the best quarterback in the nation, hands down.

From Coach Miano, Coach Lee, Coach Lumpkin, and Coach Reinebold, I've witnessed the dedication and attention to detail that has enabled the players to be as prepared as possible with each game.

Coach Terrence Duffield, otherwise known as Duff, has been a true pleasure to work with. There we are each day, side by side, sharing a small office. We are polar opposites of each other, but we get along VERY well. He cracks me up, and I crack him up....it's a great relationship that we share. He's done SO much for this team, sacrificing a LOT to be here in Hawaii as a Graduate Assistant. Without Coach Duff, we wouldn't be nearly as good of a defense as we are today!

Together, Duff and I put together the weekly scouting report. He has far more experience and knowledge when it comes to x's and o's, so he does the bulk of the report. I do the best that I can on what I CAN do.

There's no doubt in my mind that Duff will become an excellent coach at the D1-A level. If it's not Hawaii, it'll be somewhere else. But his dedication and passion to do things right will get him to where he wants to be, wherever/whatever that may be.

I am so proud to be able to call myself a Warrior! I've never won any championship before, nor have I won anything this big in life. I finally can say, I'm a winner. I look forward to the day that we receive our WAC Championship rings. I'll cherish that ring until the day I die, and will wear it proudly!

Thank you to all of the many, many fans who supported the Warriors throughout the year, not just this year but from years past as well. YOU make us what we are today!

Again, I want to thank Coach Jones, Coach Reinebold, and Coach Mack who enabled this kid from Hawaii, who loved UH football all of his life, to have a role in such a great program. I will NEVER forget this experience and will cherish it always. I look forward to continuing to be a part of this program, as I feel that this is where I belong.

School and the PhD program in Special Education will always be there, but this is MY time to live out the dream of being a Warrior! But we'll see what happens when that time comes and decisions need to be made.

We still have another game next Saturday, against a big time foe from the PAC-10, the University of Washington Huskies. Despite their record, they will pose a BIG challenge to us, literally and figuratively! They're a very big and physical team, who will just pound and pound on you, hoping that you cave in.

But we ARE the Warriors! We will rise up to the challenge yet again and fight until we can't fight no more. We BELIEVE! What more could you ask for?!

A Warrior for life,
Brian Kajiyama

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

  • At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Coach BrainK. I beg to differ with you, "YOU" where born a Warrior, I have met some true Warriors in my lifetime and though I have never met you I can tell you that from what I do know, you prime example of what a true Warrior is made of. If the young men of this team had half of what you have inside they would never lose again.

    I hope to return home one of these days and meeting you is at the top of my list of things to do, that is after I kneel down an kiss the ground, LOL(have been away from home way to long).

    Mahalo for all you do in life not just with the team.

    Pomai
    A WARRIOR FAN

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As human beings we must strive to do our part to make sure our footprints leave positive marks in life no matter our situation. Your dedication and spirit is truly and I mean TRULY an inspiration of what Humanity is all about. I will strive to one day become a Warrior like YOU!

    May the Blessings Be Yours,
    UH Football Fan

     
  • At 7:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    You bring inspiration to many of us. Especially me.

    You are such a clear headed wonderful man.
    Thans for sharing your life with the world and giving me inspiration.
    Mahalo
    Cristal

     
  • At 11:18 PM, Blogger Les said…

    Brian, I just wanted to say that I watched your CSTV video and I was so moved. You are an inspiration to all. You have the heart and sole of a Warrior. This years team seems to mirror your enthusiasm and and never say never attitude.

    I'm on my way to New Orleans to cheer on the Warriors, and now you as well. I've created my own blog and have linked to your blog.

    I also fall under the Astrological sign of Cancer and am a Dragon in the Chinese Zodiac year, 12 years your senior.

    Good luck to you, not only in the Sugar Bowl but in life. Life is what you make of it and you have made the most of it.

    Aloha,
    Les

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Blogger Kyle said…

    Coach Brian,

    Just read an article on you off of the Yahoo! Sports site, and I was really inspired by it and your blog. And obviously Pomai is too.

    I am a strong believer that God speaks to us all the time if we just listen. On my blog, I write new parables that I believe are important to all of us, and after reading your story, I was compelled to write one based on some of the information I read about you. You probably won't read it until you get back from the Sugar Bowl, but I'd love to have you stop by my blog and check it out. It's at
    http://thenewparables.blogspot.com
    .

    On a side note, I'm a KU fan, and was really hoping to see Hawaii and KU go up against each other in a bowl. Those would be two fun offenses to watch face off against each other.

    I'm also an NFL draft nut, and am wondering what you think about Colt Brennan in the NFL. I'd love to hear your thoughts on that!

    Have fun in New Orleans! Go Warriors! Go Jayhawks!

     
  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger Ina said…

    Congratulations on the New York Times article! Go Warriors!

     
  • At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Is coach June Jones going to take a different coaching position at a different school? I was reading about a vacancy at SMU.

     
  • At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your story truly is inspirational. The E60 story was great.

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are an inspiration to me and to many others. I loved your CSTV video!!!!!!! Keep on doing what you're doing. I also have CP and I was born in Hawaii.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home