Brian's Ramblings

My thoughts in text, photo, and video form

Monday, March 24, 2008

The Loss of a Friend

(In respect to the family, I won't mention the name of my friend, until such time I feel it is appropriate)

You never realize the impact that someone has on your life until that person is gone. Tonight, learning of the passing of a friend caused me to take a step back to reflect.

Friends help to shape who we are. They're always there, we expect them to be there, and they can count on us being there for them.

The friend who has passed on leaves such a great contribution that no one probably has thought of before.

It is because of my friend, the Wheelchair Bowling League has been such a vital part of my life for over 14 years.

It is because of my friend, that his family dedicated so much time and energy into ensuring that persons with disabilities had an outlet for fun every Saturday.

It is because of my friend, many persons with disabilities got to enjoy life outside of their respective homes for a few hours, enjoying fellowship with one another.

It is because of my friend, many young people had the opportunity to interact with persons with disabilities, by volunteering each week to help with the bowling league.

It is because of my friend, people are more aware that persons with disabilities ARE capable and love to have fun just like anyone else.

It is because of my friend, I am inspired to help others. I don't want any fanfare, I just want to help others....just like my friend and his family have done for so many years.

I'll miss my friend....it won't be the same at the Ft. Shafter Wheelchair Bowling League...but it WILL continue. I promise.

Thanks my friend, thanks.

-Brian

4 Comments:

  • At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yo Brian,
    This is Kevin Gilbride. I was just on the football website and saw that you were a GA, that's awesome. So I googled your name and watched the video Brian Kajiyama- Warrior on CSTV. Now I'm all fired up!! Congratulations on everything. Anyway, I wanted to write catch up. I couldn't find your email because of poor computer skills and lack of effort but I figured I would drop you a line and hopefully open up communication again. My email address is gilbride@temple.edu
    I was hoping you could email me back and let me know what's going on lately. Aloha, Kev

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Blogger Jimmy Wee said…

    Friends are a precious gem. Whether they enter your life for a few moments or years, they make a difference. We all make a difference in some way in everyone's life. It is up to us how much of a different twist we provide.

    Cherish the day and the times you've had, my friend. You now possess a special guardian angel on your shoulder. One who will be there forever.

    Aloha and mahalo, my bruddah...

    -JT aka Jimmy Wee

     
  • At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My condolences to you with the loss of your friend. I am sorry for your loss, but grateful for the wonderful opportunities and blessings your friend has touched your life with. There is nothing I could really say that could change things to be the way the were before, but I know you will get through this difficult time and come out even stronger.

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yes Brian, I have been honored to know your friend, and from time to time think of him with sadness.

    He had such a good heart, sharp mind with humor to keep one thinking "why didn't I think of that?"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home